Sunday, February 08, 2009
Old Writing
I've spent several hours today going through some old writing I did my first year out of college, mostly freewriting, and I'm shocked at how good it is. I'm intimidated as well because I don' t know that I could do better now, or even as good. But then again, I was only a year out of college and my mind was still poppin' and snappin', whereas now the world has had a good decade to suck all the creativity out of me.
But now I have a goal - now that I'm reminded of how capable I am, I'm going to try to cut loose a little more in my creative writing and stretch for the good stuff.
But now I have a goal - now that I'm reminded of how capable I am, I'm going to try to cut loose a little more in my creative writing and stretch for the good stuff.
Comments:
<< Home
Is it really that good? I like the style and boldness of a lot of my old writing but it usually lacks any real knowledge about the world or wisdom about mankind. Look at the writing with a clear mind and ask whether it really contains anything of lasting value. Style can always be found, refreshened, faked. Substance is impossible to fake and is what makes for lasting works of art.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

