Monday, March 09, 2009

If I Ever Have Kids... (In Which I Hint At Some Of The Problems I Have As An Adult)

  1. They are going to play team sports up to a certain age. I think it's important to learn how to co-exist and work with others. I'd also want them to truly understand the fact that failure is a part of victory, and that if you avoid things out of the fear of failure, you are in turn avoiding victory.
  2. They will do martial arts and learn about mental discipline and respect.
  3. I'd lean towards them learning a musical instrument as well, but I was resentful as hell about my parents forcing me to play piano, so I don't think I'd push them to hard on that point.
  4. They'd have a dog and learn what it's like to take care of something/someone that needs care and empathy and love.

Comments:
Competitive sports, and team sports in particular, are important for so many reasons. I played little league baseball and other school sports through high school. But it's funny how much psychology and family influence your understandings of yourself. I was and am a very good athlete compared to the vast majority of people out there.

But because my brother was an athletic prodigy, the family assumption was always that I was unathletic. This was drilled into me over many years. I developed a complacency about sports, because, even though I was good at them, I was never encouraged because I was the unathletic one. There couldn't possibly be two athletic sons in the household. I rarely made much effort after I was about seven or eight, because it didn't seem worth it. I played but never with the amount of passion required to be really good. I played in a detached way. I would never live up to the standards set by my brother so why bother?

But having returned to sports -- tennis in this case -- after so many years and having distanced myself somewhat from those childhood notions, I'm constantly surprised by how much more natural gift I have than others I play with. I learn and improve more quickly, my reflexes are better, I am quicker and more agile, and I have higher endurance than most around me.

These natural characteristics were always there, and what I lacked before I am developing now, the pychological understanding that I can put my heart into competition, that I can get good, that the investment of effort and soul is worthwhile.

As for the instrument I would love to have been offered music lessons as a child but I wasn't so I guess that one cuts both ways.

My approach with my child is going to be (and aready is) to expose him to everything and encourage him in whatever he likes.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Creative Commons License
Happy Fun Cog by Jack Burden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at happyfuncog.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://happyfuncog.blogspot.com/.