Monday, March 30, 2009
Meh
Per this previous post, I had my performance evaluation with my boss today, in which we go over my performance over the last year, peer review, raise, etc. I got a 3% raise, which is pretty much what I expected considering a) my middle of the road performance and b) the economy. I would've had to have had a breakout year to get a 5% or above raise.
But here's my point: this meeting, which sets the goals for the forthcoming year as well as talking about the overall job I'm doing, lasted all of about 15 minutes. I just didn't have anything to say. As long as I don't get fired, I really don't give a shit. On the previous post, I noted that this would probably change if one of my teammates got promoted, and that's still true.
But every other time I've had my review, I've been a bundle of nerves. Not so much from a fear of getting fired/hope of getting promoted, but because I'm in a position to be evaluated/judged, which always puts me on needle. This time, though... nothing. Seriously, I just don't care. Give me my small raise, let's exchange bland, generic plans for the future, and let me go back to my desk.
I feel like my ambivalence about my job has bloomed. Will I go to grad school? I don't know. But for the first time in a long time, I'm not worried about my job (knock on wood) and that's pretty fucking cool in my book.
But here's my point: this meeting, which sets the goals for the forthcoming year as well as talking about the overall job I'm doing, lasted all of about 15 minutes. I just didn't have anything to say. As long as I don't get fired, I really don't give a shit. On the previous post, I noted that this would probably change if one of my teammates got promoted, and that's still true.
But every other time I've had my review, I've been a bundle of nerves. Not so much from a fear of getting fired/hope of getting promoted, but because I'm in a position to be evaluated/judged, which always puts me on needle. This time, though... nothing. Seriously, I just don't care. Give me my small raise, let's exchange bland, generic plans for the future, and let me go back to my desk.
I feel like my ambivalence about my job has bloomed. Will I go to grad school? I don't know. But for the first time in a long time, I'm not worried about my job (knock on wood) and that's pretty fucking cool in my book.
Comments:
<< Home
Good for you, that sounds liberating. By the way, I have wanted to say for a while (but just hadn't gotten round to posting) that I think the Communication Studies grad school sounded really good and a perfect fit for your interests.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

