Monday, April 27, 2009

I Never Knew This

Copied from Grammar Book . c o m:

Who vs. Whom

Rule:
Rule. Use the he/him method to decide which word is correct.
he = who
him = whom
Examples: Who/Whom wrote the letter?
He wrote the letter. Therefore, who is correct.
For who/whom should I vote?
Should I vote for him? Therefore, whom is correct.
We all know who/whom pulled that prank.
This sentence contains two clauses: We all know and who/whom pulled that prank. We are interested in the second clause because it contains the who/whom. He pulled that prank. Therefore, who is correct. (Are you starting to sound like a hooting owl yet?)
We want to know on who/whom the prank was pulled.
This sentence contains two clauses: We want to know and the prank was pulled on who/whom. Again, we are interested in the second clause because it contains the who/whom. The prank was pulled on him. Therefore, whom is correct.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
My name is Jack, and there is no meaning to the post other than it's a grammatical rule that I never knew until recently, and it fascinates me.
 
Sorry Jack you can delete my comment.
 
You never knew why and when you use who versus whom?
 
Let me put it this way: I've had good success with the appropriate use of "whom" based on what I guess you'd call literary intuition. But I never knew the actual grammatical rule(s) for it's use.

(and that "it's" is a joke)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Creative Commons License
Happy Fun Cog by Jack Burden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at happyfuncog.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://happyfuncog.blogspot.com/.