Monday, April 06, 2009
Lars & Me
I watched Lars and the Real Girl this weekend, which was a moving little flick (albeit one that got a little too saccharine for its own good). In short, it's about a sweet, very lonely, and very deluded young man who gets a Real Doll (if you're not familiar with Real Dolls, don't Google it from a work computer).
And here's the part where I extrapolate meaning as it relates to my own life without spoiling the movie. One of the plot points of the movie is that the various events reflect how much people in the small town care about Lars, but he's too blind to see it. I think I can learn from this. I'm very harsh on myself and others, and as a result I expect people to judge me harshly as well. In reality, people are almost always far more forgiving or, more likely, apathetic about the problems or mistakes that I obsess about.
A lot of the pressure that I put on myself comes from this belief that others are judging me harshly, so if I can just teach myself that I'm the one doing the judging, I think my life would be a lot easier.
And here's the part where I extrapolate meaning as it relates to my own life without spoiling the movie. One of the plot points of the movie is that the various events reflect how much people in the small town care about Lars, but he's too blind to see it. I think I can learn from this. I'm very harsh on myself and others, and as a result I expect people to judge me harshly as well. In reality, people are almost always far more forgiving or, more likely, apathetic about the problems or mistakes that I obsess about.
A lot of the pressure that I put on myself comes from this belief that others are judging me harshly, so if I can just teach myself that I'm the one doing the judging, I think my life would be a lot easier.
Comments:
<< Home
I watched a TV show about real girls once. The real real girl owners were not so much sweet as they were disturbing.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

