Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm Not Giving Back The Degree

At the time I got my BA in film, I could consume foreign movies by the bushel, as well as "classic" movies from the 40's and 50's that, to the modern viewer, were like fingernails going across a chalkboard.

But my ability to watch movies for the sake of the art of film has diminished greatly over time... actually, that's a negative way to state this fact: I get bored with movies much more readily than I did before. Case in point: Mean Streets by Martin Scorsese. A classic piece of American cinema, an intense portrait of New York City in the 1970's, starring some of the greatest acting talent of that generation. And it bored the shit out of me. I just put the DVD back in the Netflix envelope and will send it out because I've watched about half of the movie, an hour, and can't imagine spending another hour at it.

Maybe this is something that comes with having a job and less free time. One demands more satisfaction when satisfaction has more meaning.

Comments:
Funny, I'm the same way. Not a film major but a huge film buff with a taste towards the films of the 30's-50's and more obscure artsy stuff (but with plot). I just don't have the patience for all this boring, depressing stuff any more. I think it is partly a function of limited time--I can't see that many movies and the ones I do see I want to have a very good chance of enjoying. Whether that means "thinking" is debatable.
 
I think Hannah Montanna has infiltrated your brain with her infectious happiness and super duper clean visuals and you can't take the grit no more, man, the grit.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Creative Commons License
Happy Fun Cog by Jack Burden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at happyfuncog.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://happyfuncog.blogspot.com/.