Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Good Day

  1. I took my Subaru, Bubba, into the shop for his 30,000 mile checkup. Not only is he in good health, but the shop, which is one of those small local places tucked away off the major roads, charged me $200 less than what the dealership told me it would cost. Lick my testicles, you slimy, overcharging, "Oh by the way, you'll need this extra work done (mubmbling) which costs $150 in labor" dealership motherfuckers.
  2. I got my red stripe belt in tae kwon do today. I've been working on this belt for a while, and had originally tested for it back in June but didn't pass because of some problems with my spinning kicks. I worked at it, going to classes 3-4 days a week, and finally got the belt today. So if you see me spinning, run the other way.
  3. I had a moment of primatology-inspired office interaction today (I've been reading The Inner Ape, which is quite fascinating). I won't break it down all the way, but there's a guy who's been making critical comments to me/about me in a 'joking' manner for a while, and today he did it again on a team-wide email. This primatology book talks a lot about how interactions between males are about constant intimidation and bluffs that, even done with a light heart, are about establishing status within a group. So with that in mind, I set aside my usual obsession with politeness and hit him in a (figurative) sore spot. A couple of people on the email chain responded with "Bravo!" comments. The guy who'd been making critical comments now showed submissive postures, with a higher tone of voice and teeth smiling with his face pointed down and his eyes looking up at me. Hmm... maybe I've been reading too much about primatology.
Anyway, I came back home and realized that I was having anxiety because it was a good day and I'm feeling happy and I'm not used to feeling happy and don't want to tempt fate and blah blah blah. But there it is. I feel happy.

Comments:
I commented a minute a go but I'm not sure it went through or whether you have started a system or previewing comments.

Anyway in case I didn't enter it right...

I like the sound of your email sparring victory. Go super ape Eric!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Creative Commons License
Happy Fun Cog by Jack Burden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at happyfuncog.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://happyfuncog.blogspot.com/.