Tuesday, March 09, 2010
Honking
I take Route 9, a major inter-city thoroughfare in the Boston area, to work every day. To get to the brick and glass office complex in which I spend too much of my life, I exit Route 9 via a concrete lane that arches over the opposite traffic flow and deposits my car and I at a traffic light. There are three lanes to choose from when one approaches the light from the above-described route: one lane turns left, to yet another complex of office buildings, and two go straight forward in a route that will take you to my office complex and eventually back over Route 9 and then to some other road; Route 30, I think.
This morning, I was in the middle lane while waiting at the light. There were two cars ahead of me. In the lane to my left, the left-turn lane, there were another three cars. The light turned green. As I pressed my car's accelerator, I saw that the last car in line on my left was still. The woman inside had not noticed that the light had changed and that traffic was moving forward. I honked at her as I drove past.
The above story is not true, but is also true.
This morning, I was in the middle lane while waiting at the light. There were two cars ahead of me. In the lane to my left, the left-turn lane, there were another three cars. The light turned green. As I pressed my car's accelerator, I saw that the last car in line on my left was still. The woman inside had not noticed that the light had changed and that traffic was moving forward. I honked at her as I drove past.
The above story is not true, but is also true.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

